I have been eyeing on the portrait photography deals on various group-buy websites, and when I saw this deal from Groupon, RM99 for 4 hrs photoshoot, includes hair and makeup, and 3 costumes provided by StarEast Bridal house, I bought the deal.
The moment I bought the deal, I called up StarEast to book a slot. However, the weekends were all full until the expiry date of the voucher. A bit frustrated, thinking that I have to take leave to attend the photoshoot. Few days later, it was announced that April 11 is the Coronation of the King, and it was declared a public holiday. I called up again and managed to get the date! So happy and excited!
I will talk about my experience with StarEast after all the photos. My package only includes 15 edited photos. Total 80 photos were shown to me and I managed to narrow it down to 40+ photos on the first round, and second round narrow to 30+. After that, I pulled Boy boy in to choose the photos and finally my 15 photos are chosen.
I only chose selected photos to be published in my blog:
What do you think of the photos?Now, let me talk about my experience with StarEast. A long-winded one.
Before Photoshoot day:
- I spoke to Grace when making my reservation, only the date was confirmed but not the time. 2 weeks before the photoshoot, I called up to enquire on the time, she told me that she could only provide me with the time 2 days before. I told her that I would prefer morning session (it was either 11am or 4pm session).
- 1 day before the photoshoot, no news from Grace, and I called up again. She told me it was 4pm. Ok fine. Then I asked her what should I bring, she told me to bring my own dresses just in case I does not like their dresses. Ok fine. I asked further whether I should bring ampoules and eyelashes, she said can bring along to show the makeup artist. If these things are not suitable, then will have to purchase from them.
- I was a bit angry after talking to her, she only told me all these things 1 day before the photoshoot. How am I supposed to prepare nice gowns / dresses? Luckily being a makeup artist, I have ampoules and fake lashes. The only thing I can do is to pray that their gowns are nice, and the makeup artist accepts my ampoules and lashes, as I do not intend to top up any money.
- The photoshoot day arrived. I was served by Jane, the makeup artist. She showed me an album of the gowns that I am allowed to choose. Much to my horror, it was either old fashioned cheongsam, Korean han bok, Japanese kimonos or the Western victorian styles. I asked whether do they have any dinner gowns, she said yes, but have to add on RM180 per gown. I was like WTF.
- I didn’t add on anything. The red dress and the black dress you see above belong to mine.
- I was ushered to the makeup room. Jane accepted my ampoule and fake lashes. She started working on my face. Frankly speaking, I was very satisfied with her makeup as she made my eyes very big. LOL.
- My photographer was Ah Kai. Before starting the photoshoot, we discussed about the theme that I want, my expectation and his expectation. The whole process he was quite funny.
Selection of photos Day:
- When I browsed through the unedited photos, my expression was like “meh”. The photos were not impressive enough to impress me. However, I was satisfied with the outcome especially the poses with the black dress.
- During my selection, another photographer came and complimented me that I am photogenic, he was trying to persuade me to get the whole CD of unedited photos for RM280. I, determined not to add any money, so I declined him.
- If I was using their dinner gowns for photoshoot, I may consider purchasing the whole CD. The heck, I am using my own dresses ok, some more not the elegant nice gowns, those were just normal dresses and you ask me to top up money for the CD? I am not buying it.
Summary:Some hits and some misses for the photoshoot package. Some service I was satisfied, some service I was not. I was over the moon for my makeup but not over the moon for the photos. Nevertheless, it just cost me RM99, what more could I ask for?