We had a Chinese New Year gathering at Umaiya for Japanese lunch buffet. There were 7 of us and we were given a space with 2 separate tables. Funny right?
The buffet is ala-carte style. We were given a buffet menu and just write down the numbers that you want to order on a piece of paper. This post is going to bombard with lots of food picture.
|Oysters (not palm size though)|
The sashimi are very fresh and quite thick slices too.
|Teppanyaki chicken, beef touban teppanyaki, fried tofu with osyter, stir fried vege|
The chicken teppanyaki was very good, flavoured with garlic. the beef was tender too.
|Seafood tempura, shisamo, chuka lidako, mushroom soup|
|Saba, fried tofu, grill prawn, Sanma|
|soft shell crab|
|the amount of food on 1 table.|
The food in Umaiya was good as I have ate twice their normal ala-carte dish. But I wouldn't recommend the buffet lunch to anyone because:
1) Buffet starts at 11.30am, the restaurant opened 11.45am, we were seated at 12pm. The last order is at 2pm. Which was very rush for us.
2) The raw food (i.e sashimi) was served very fast but the cooked food took them at least 45 minutes to be served. Very slow service.
3) They mixed up the numbers of our two tables, so it caused quite a few confusion when serving the food. The waitress still want to argue with us on the table number even when we took the table number plate and show her and she still insisted that she was correct.
4) At first we thought of ordering slowly but because of the super slow service, we buck up our order in the 3rd and 4th and 5th order form. And suddenly, BAMP! They served us all the big big portion from the 4th and 5th order form and missed out all the 1st, 2nd and some of the 3rd forms.
5) The waitress chased us to finish our food by 2.30pm. She said "finish your food fast, we will come in and weigh the leftovers on 2.30pm". What service is that??? So freaking rude.
I will not blacklist the restaurant but I will blacklist their buffet lunch. Not worth the emotionally being tortured while having the lunch.
Umaiya Japanese Restaurant
49G, Jalan SS21/37,
47400 Petaling Jaya