Friday, November 28, 2008

Cervical Cancer Vaccination

Vaccination for cervical cancer is a hot topic among the girls nowadays. Decided to post this up to create awareness among the women. Being pressured by two of my friends, Nicole and PY who asked me to take the vaccination, I took up the challenge. Hahaha.

Yup, this is my second jab this time around (to be exact, I was being jabbed just 1 hour ago). Remembered when I took my first jab 2 months ago, my hand was numb on the spot! I am not a needle-phobia person (I donated blood few times before and the needle was much more bigger than this), but I didnt expect this jab was so painful after the injection. Driving back that time, I changed gear with my right hand. Plus, I blasted my left arm with my super cold aircon. The pain during that particular night was unbearable, my whole hand felt so uncomfortable the whole night until I cant sleep. Poor me. The pain lasted for 2 days and gradually wore off after that. SUFFERING~!!!!

Reluctantly to accept that 2 months have passed and today is THE DAY. Thick face going into my childhood clinic, Klinik Kanak-kanak Khoo (yup, Dr Khoo is offering cervical cancer vaccination). Here is Dr Khoo holding the needle.

Dr Khoo jabbed me.....

Here is my afternath...bleed a little....

45 minutes later .... Supprisingly there was a little bit of pain this time around, is like 10% of the 1st time painfulness. Maybe I complained to Dr Khoo about the first time injection, so this time he jabbed me softly. My arm was not numb, I still can drive, I still can type (typing this blog now, lol). Hopefully tonight can sleep well....keeping my finger cross....



Now, let's talk about some facts. Dr Khoo is using CervarixTM developed by GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), and he is charging RM400 per jab so total RM1200 for 3 jabs. Based on Wikipedia, Cervarix is a preventive vaccination which can block HPV (Human Pappilomavirus) infection from strain 16, 18, 31 and 45. It cannot block other HPV strains, therefore, routine pap smear is still recommended for ladies after vaccination.



Cervical cancer is the second rank cancer after breast cancer for women. Is up to you whether you want to take this vaccination but please bear in mind that you can check any lumps for breast cancer indication while you could not check for cervical cancer symptoms externally (besides doing a pap smear test).
Guys, please encourage your girl friends (note the space between the two words), your younger sister, and your love ones to get this vaccination for future protection. As a women, we need to protect our valuable assets, dont we?

1 comment:

siewmun said...

Aiya...the pain is still on la....but still manage to sleep last night but woke up quite a few times due to the pain....sigh....

feeling feverish somemore....but I still manage to shop....wahahaha...

Nuffnang

Pages